The dropping temperatures of winter affects more than just one’s wardrobe, extra attention also needs to be paid to your motor vehicle.
Here are some tips to help maintain your vehicle during the colder months and keep it in tip top working condition.
- The rubber in your tyres toughens in the winter period which can result in tyre pressure dropping rapidly. Check your tyre pressures more frequently in the winter and keep them pumped up to the manufacturers recommended levels.
- Low temperatures interfere with the way batteries operates and can cause a drop in the batteries voltage. Take your vehicle for a battery test to ensure that you don’t end up with a dead battery on a very cold morning.
- When the weather conditions change, engine fluids thicken which may cause your vehicle to perform more sluggishly. Check your vehicle’s fluid levels more often and top up as needed.
- Leave your car running a little longer before turning your heater on. The heaters take heat away from your engine lowering your engine’s efficiency and using more fuel, to keep it from stalling.
- Windshields can become more fragile in colder temperatures, don’t wash them with warm water, this can cause them to crack straight away due to the sudden temperature changes.
- Windscreen wipers perish faster in the colder temperatures and can become brittle and break faster. Check windscreen wipers more frequently in the winter and replace if necessary.
Park your vehicle in the garage or under cover as much as possible in the winter months to protect it from the temperature changes!
At CMH Subaru East Rand, we have a fully equipped workshop with factory trained technicians to assist you should you have any problems with your vehicle!